Anixter is seeking a Senior Counsel–Corporate & Securities for its global Legal team in Glenview, IL. This position will manage a wide variety of legal work in the areas of SEC, M&A, corporate governance, corporate finance, and compliance.
The Senior Counsel’s responsibilities will cover the entire spectrum of corporate and securities matters that would typically confront a public U.S. company of this size and complexity, including:
- Supporting the preparation of SEC filings, including 10-Ks, 10-Qs, 8-Ks, Section 16 filings, proxy statements, registration statements, etc.
- Staying abreast of, and ensuring compliance with, federal and state securities and corporate laws, as well as applicable rules and regulations of exchanges and industry organizations that affect public company reporting or compliance and public M&A, including Sarbanes-Oxley, Dodd Frank, ISS, Glass Lewis, etc.
- Supporting internal processes and procedures for SEC compliance and M&A, including SEC filings, sub-certification, and trading blackout processes.
- Based on size, complexity, and location, assisting on and/or taking lead role on mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, and minority investments, on both a domestic and cross-border basis.
- Assisting with the corporate secretarial support for the Company’s Board of Directors.
- Supporting the Company’s financing activities.
- Collaborating with, advising, and supporting a broad range of departments and functions domestically and internationally, including Internal Audit, Finance, Treasury, and others as needed.
- Assisting with coverage of general corporate and commercial matters, including reviewing commercial and other contracts, as needed.
- Assisting in various other compliance activities throughout the Company, including, without limitation, the development and implementation of annual and long-term strategic compliance initiatives for the Company.
- Assisting in and/or managing the investigation of potential compliance violations and Hotline calls, and monitor investigation trends, if apparent, to identify risk areas for further adjustments to the Company’s compliance initiatives.
- Participating in regional and global compliance meetings.
- Managing outside counsel.
The successful candidate will have 7+ years of legal experience with a law firm and/or corporate legal department. A strong background in SEC, M&A, corporate governance and corporate finance is required. In addition to excellent legal and analytical skills as a corporate attorney, the right candidate will possess outstanding communication and interpersonal skills and an ability to interface with a broad range of senior business executives, and other colleagues and professionals.
- Juris Doctorate and current bar admission is required.
- At least 7 years of securities and public company reporting experience in a law firm and/or corporate legal department.
- Both public and private M&A experience in a law firm and/or corporate legal department.
- Pragmatic and business-focused mindset with demonstrated ability to take ownership, and to manage multiple projects simultaneously with ability to focus on critical priorities with minimal supervision.
- Highly polished and effective negotiation, communication, and drafting skills, including those suitable for interaction with senior managers and executives.
- Proven ability to lead and execute all facets of challenging transactional engagements—from preliminary/conceptual advice, through structuring, due diligence, negotiating, drafting, closing, integration and post-closing conflict resolution.
- Prior in-house experience a plus
- Previous experience managing one or more people is a benefit.